Position in Firm: Chief Nursing Officer/Enterostomal Therapist(E.T.) Department of Nursing University Malaya Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur
Key Experience / Specialisations: Ms. Mariam has been working in UMMC for about 30 years. She began her career as a Staff Nurse after completion of her 3 years nursing training in College of Nursing, University Malaya and, has developed herself professionally till date. She has undergone a few courses to make herself more competent and knowledgeable and she believes strongly that learning is a never-ending process, continuous without limit and always keeping on looking for ideas and innovation to manage her patients and targeting for excellent.
She plans and has managed both national and international conferences, seminars and workshops and attachment program for Nurses in Malaysia and abroad. Specifically, she was involved in planning and coordinating attachment programs in Enterostomal Therapy Nursing which she is specialized in and also Diabetic Educator Program. Ms. Mariam started a continuous international ETN attachment for the Asia Pacific region in UMMC which involves countries within the regions such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Pakistan, India, Philippines, Indonesia and Thailand.
Her recent collaboration is with the World Council of Enterostomal Therapy(WCET) and Canadian Association of Enterostomal Therapy(CAET) to help Nepalese Nurses clinical training in her hospital.
Her best achievement in her career is setting up Enterostomal Therapy Nursing Services in UMMC almost single-handedly in 1995 till date to ensure she serve her
patients in a more professional way. In her vision to expand the ET services, she embarked on a plan to continuously train more nurses. Since then 13 nurses are fully trained ET specialist and many more nurses are being exposed to ET services through in in-house training, attachment program, seminar, workshops, and conferences. Her priority and passion towards patient care is to make sure her patients are well-taken care by qualified nurses who are also competence.
She formed a stoma care support group and actively involves in Malaysian Enterostomal Therapist Nurses Association (METNA), Asian Pacific Enterostomal Therapist Nurses (APETNA) and Stoma care Society of Malaysia.
She was the past president of METNA for 4 years and now was elected as an Advisor to METNA and also the Vice President of Malaysian Ostomy Association (MOsA).
She has vast experience in risk and quality management and have been lecturing topic such Patient Safety Goals, Root Cause Analysis, Quality indicators and many more.
She is also the project manager for the UMMC Operating Theatres/CICU/ICU upgrading project.
Ms. Mariam holds a Master’s degree in Business Administration from University Technology Mara (UiTM), Bachelor Degree in Nursing Sciences, majoring in Management from University Malaya, Certificate of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Education Program from Princess Margaret Hospital, Hong Kong, and Certificate of Midwifery from Hospital Kuala Lumpur and Basic Nursing from School of Nursing, University Malaya.
Her latest educational development was obtaining a certificate of Nursing Leadership, when she was chosen to be the recipient of Global Nursing Leadership Institute (GNLI) sponsorship to attend a week workshop on Global Nursing Leadership Workshop in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Certificate in Global Nursing Leadership (Geneva/ICN)
- Internal Auditor for ISO and MSQH Accreditation
- MBA, University Technology Mara, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
- BSc (Hons) in University Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, majoring in management
- Certificate in Wound, Ostomy & Continence Education Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, Hong Kong.
- Certificate in Midwifery, Hospital Kuala Lumpur
- Certificate of Basic Nursing in University Malaya Medical Center
- Certificate in Auditor/Lead Auditor Training
- Certificate of MSQH Lead Auditor
- Certificate of Risk Management
- Registered Nurse(UMMC)
- Registered Midwife(HKL)
- Enterostomal Therapist/WOCN(Hong Kong)
- Management: In-patient services, Ambulatory services, Operating Theatres
- General surgical includes solid tumour, cardiac, colorectal.
- Emergency Medicine
- Obstetric – Labor room
- Invited speaker nationally – Colorectal conference, Asia pacific geriatric conference on Pressure ulcers, Wound conferences
- Adjunct Lecturer for Management & Science University
- Asia Pacific ETN Conference, Orthopedic Conference, Care of the Elderly in Banting Hospital, Wound Management in PutraJaya Hospital, Taiping Hospital, Management & Science University, MAHSA University, OUM University, Pantai Hospital, Ipoh, Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital, Alor Setar, Kedah, International Islamic University Malaysia, Kuantan, Pahang and Assunta Hospital.
- Presenting papers in Bangkok, Adelaide, Taiwan, Singapore and Indonesia
- Committee member in the formulation of home nursing policy with ministry of health.
- Motivator for baby-friendly hospital
- Actively involves in Stoma care Society of Malaysia
- Coordinating ETN Workshops all over Malaysia and Taiwan
- Plan, coordinate and implement attachment program on ETN for Nurses and Doctors in the Asia Pacific Region – China, Taiwan, Pakistan, Hong Kong, Pakistan, India, and Philippines.
- Speaker for RCA workshop, risk management and patient safety.
- Leadership workshop to Matrons and sisters in Minstry of Health
- Excellence Award Achievement, in 1999, 2004, 2005 & 2011
- Loyal Service Award 2005
- Certificate of Appreciate
- from Director of University Malaya Medical Center
- from Quality Management Unit, UMMC
- from International Islamic University, Kuantan, Pahang
- from Pengarah Kesihatan Negeri, Jabatan Kesihatan Negeri Selangor
- from Hospital Putrajaya, Selangor
- from Jabatan Kesihatan Pulau Pinang
- from Assunta School, Petaling Jaya
- from Koa Shiung Hospital, Taipeh, Taiwan
Involvement in association:
- Past President of Malaysian Enterostomal Therapy Nurses Association (METNA)
- Advisor, Malaysian Enterostomal Therapy Nurses Association (METNA)
- Vice President of Malaysian Ostomy Association (MOsA)
- Vice President of Aeronita
- Committee Member of Education Committee, World Council of Enterostomal Therapy.
- Committee Member of Continence Foundation of Malaysia
- Life member of Malaysian Nurses Association (MNA)
- Member of the Malaysian Wound Care Professional Society
- Alumni School of Nursing, University Malaya (ASKUM)
- Program Director of Malaysian Enterostomal Therapy Nursing Education Program 2013 & 2015
- Co-organizer for the 1st WOC Joint Effort between Indonesian and Malaysian ET
- Chairman for the Fall committee of UMMC
- Chairman of Quality Improvement Committee, Dept of Nursing. UMMC
- Chairman of Risk Management Committee, Dept of Nursing, UMMC
- Chairman of Root Cause Analysis Committee, Dept of Nursing, UMMC
- Committee Member of Policy, UMMC
- Committee in the Medical Advisory Committee
- Committee in the Radiation Committee
- Members of management team UMMC